“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! See, I have already begun!” —Isaiah 43:18-19
The week between Christmas and New Year’s is one of my favorite weeks of the year. It’s a great time for looking back to express gratitude and learn from our mistakes. It’s also a great week for planning for your future.
Here are five ways you can make a FRESH S.T.A.R.T. in 2018.
1. S – START accepting responsibility.
If you want to make a fresh start in 2018, you have to STOP. Stop making excuses, blaming other people for your shortcomings, seeing yourself as a victim, and start accepting responsibility. It can be painful, but it also leads to freedom!
“Whoever tries to hide his sins will not succeed, but the one who confesses his sins and leaves them behind will find mercy.” —Proverbs 28:13 VOICE
2. T - TAKE stock.
Schedule some time over the next few days to evaluate your life by asking yourself a few questions.
Some Questions to Ask:
· What have I learned?
· What are the assets, abilities, opportunities and blessings God has given me?
· Who are the people God has placed in my life who can help me? Have I joined a LIFE Group? Will I join one in 2018?
· What is God doing in and around my life right now?
3. A – ACT in faith.
Jesus: “According to your faith will it be done to you.” —Matthew 9:29
We tend to get out of life exactly what we expect. What are you expecting God to do in your life in 2018? Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you. Write down the dreams and goals He places in your heart.
4. R – RENEW your mind.
In other words, rethink the way you think.
Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts. —Proverbs 4:23 GN
Here are a few ways you can renew your mind.
· Read God’s Word daily. Adopt a simple plan. Check out youversion.com or biblegateway.com for possible reading plans.
· Begin each day with prayer. God longs to hear from you. Take time to talk with Him this week. A great prayer to pray is simply, “Holy Spirit, what are you saying to me?”
· Keep a journal. Write down the ideas and insights the Holy Spirit shares.
· Read books that challenge, grow and inspire you.
· Participate in the upcoming 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting at a2! Giving God the first few days of a new year will set the tone for the rest.
5. T – TRUST God.
Trust means “to depend on, cling to, and rely upon.” It means that you admit that you can’t accomplish the dreams, goals and plans God has for you on your own. You’re going to need divine assistance.
“It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the LORD Almighty.” —Zechariah 4:6
Take time this week to walk through these five steps. You can make a FRESH S.T.A.R.T. in 2018!
New Year’s Eve at a2 Church
Sunday, December 31 // 9 and 10:45 am
Make plans to join us this Sunday, December 31 at a2 Church for an incredible New Year’s Eve worship experience. We’ve titled it, Don't Stop Now! We’ll look back at what God has done in 2017 and forward to what we believe He’s going to do in 2018!